Friday, April 24, 2015

Kids Cafe Art Lectures

Today is Friday and thank goodness! It doesn't have the same meaning for me as for others, as I work part-time and am usually off three-four days a week anyways, but the sentiment is nice all the same. I was jamming in the car this morning to happy bouncy music (i.e. this song, which was making me laugh and sing along loudly to repeatedly) to get me excited about work. Don't get me wrong, I love my job. I've just been so exhausted feeling lately, that sometimes it takes a bit more encouragement for me to get in the mood. I fell backwards and hit my head on a stool last Friday and it's been hurting, plus making it hard for me to sleep (as I hit the back of it). I finally made it to the doctor yesterday and it turns out I got a first-grade concussion, which is essentially a small but not serious one. It sounds scary though. Mostly just my head hurts every now and then and I keep getting headaches, though I usually get those anyways as I have migraines. The one this morning hurt like a mother but thankfully I had some Motrin in the car. 

My first post on this blog was about Kids Cafe, a program that I'm involved in which I do every week. It's a really great program which I enjoy doing. As I said on that first post, I usually do mini-art or history lectures and then we do a craft. I'd like to start sharing them on this blog, so that will probably be my Friday post (at least until I run out of them). I was rather proud of last week's as I did it on the Dutch Baroque artist Jan Vermeer and his use of the camera obscura (aka pinhole camera). I made my own version of the pinhole camera, which was really cool once I finally figured out how it actually worked. Anyways, the first couple ones I did with a spoken lecture and some pictures on the magnetic board. After a few weeks, I realized that most people couldn't see them so I should make it larger. So I started using a Powerpoint followed by a craft and this is what I've been doing since then. I will try to post images of my personal art examples as well. 

Disclaimer: Most of the writing was done by different people and I just edited it, some is my own; for the text I borrowed, I have included where I got the information from. 

This particular Kids Cafe went over pretty well, considering it was the first program I  did (the first week at least). I'm not sure very many were listen, then as well as now, but I still really enjoy doing them and I think that shows with how much prep goes into them and the way I am presenting them. The good feedback I get from the attendees is usually from parents, though some kids obviously like it too. I really liked the paint chip poetry, but didn't actually do an endangered animals coloring sheet myself. 


Kids Café: Color Wheel and Pop Art - Jan 6th

·         Introduction: Welcome to Kid’s Café. My name is Miss Rachel and we’re going to learn a little about art. Today we’re going to be talking about the color wheel and learn a little about Pop Art.
·         Primary Colors: colors that are not created with any other colors
o   Red, Blue, Yellow
·         Secondary Colors: colors made from mixing two primary colors
o   Orange, Violet, Green
·         Warm Colors (red, orange, yellow) and Cool Colors (blue, purple, and green)
·         Pop Art – from the 1950s – 1960s
o   A famous French artist named Marcel Duchamp said in 1917 “that any object  could be art, as long as the artist intended it as such.” The movement centered around painting, sculpture and printmaking. It has been defined as (see Pop Art quote below). Pop Art uses images from popular culture such as comic, advertising esp product labels, news, and other cultural images. It can also use found objects and tends to be rather kitschy (tacky and cheap)
o   Artists included
§  Andy Warhol: most famous American artist of this period – made printmaking more artistic and less commercial 
§  Jasper Johns: incorporated symbols such as numbers, flags, maps, and targets into his paintings 
§  Roy Lichtenstein: based his early images off comics 
§  Robert Rauschenberg: famous for creating what he called “combines” or mixed media art using found objects; his most famous example is Monogram, which combines a found object painting with a stuffed goat with a tire around its middle and its face painted 
§  Wayne Thiebaud (tee-bow): very colorful paintings of common objects, most famously his cakes 

·         Activities:
o   Andy Warhol Endangered Species Suite 1983
§  Give out kids 4-square images of one of the Endangered Animals used in Warhol’s painting (use coloring sheets - I used a butterfly, tree frog, rhino and elephant) and have them color them in primary colors or complimentary colors (colors that are opposite from each other on the color wheel) - Most kids didn't color them this way, but it was still fun


o   Color Poetry
§  Get kids to fill out Color Poetry sheet and then give them paint chip cards (the square Behr ones) - I only had two kids do this activity, which I was a little upset with because I thought it was really cool; I had originally wanted to include this activity not only because it is cool but because some people, myself included, are better with words than art. The below examples are the ones from the website I found the activity on. 




Warm & Cool Colors





Marcel Duchamp’s Fountain 1917



Pop Art has been called “‘Popular (designed for a mass audience); Transient (short term solution); Expendable (easily forgotten); Low Cost; Mass Produced; Young (aimed at Youth); Witty; Sexy; Gimmicky; Glamorous; and Big Business’.”



Andy Warhol’s Campbell’s Soup Cans 1962


Jasper John’s Target with Four Faces, 1955



Roy Lichtenstein’s Drowning Girl 1963



Robert Rauschenberg’s Monogram




Wayne Thiebaud’s Confections 1962


No comments:

Post a Comment