Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Picture Books and Why They're Awesome

Last week's post was all about National Library Week. I talked about the fill-in-the-blank photos that my library system was displaying in celebration, and I wanted to add that if I was going to do one my would say "Hello, my name is Rachel and I read way more Children and Young Adults books than Adult ones." I have been teased by this fact, but the truth is that I love reading them, and would still do so even if I wasn't a Children's Librarian. I'm a sucker for good illustrations, as my book reviews can attest. I know a lot of people like to poo poo this kind of art, especially if it's for children, but some of the best art I've seen lately has been from these sources. The majority of my children's book collection at home is picture books. A lot of times I can't think about a certain author without thinking about the artwork included in their children's books, like William Joyce,  Mo Willems, Peter Brown, or even Tony DiTerlizzi. I've been sharing picture books with my son since he was a baby, and sometimes I check them out just for me to read. It honestly surprises me to see which picture books my son likes, especially if they are ones I got for me because I didn't think he would like the subject matter or understand what it is about. Case in point, I brought home a haiku poetry book called Won Ton: A Cat Tale Told in Haiku by Lee Wardlaw, which is right now one of his favorite books for me to read to him. 

So when I saw this post today from Nerdy Book Club, I knew I had to include it in a post. In it, 5th grade students made up a list of why they love picture books, all of which I agree with especially number 8, 7, 5 and 1. So I guess the moral of this post is pick up a picture book and enjoy one with your child, or just on your own. 


Our Top Ten Reasons We Love Picture Books

10. Picture books are amazing because they are short enough to teach us something in one class period. 

9. Picture books are amazing because they bring us laughter and make us remember when we were younger. 

8. Picture books are amaing becauase they help us to be creative. 

7. Picture books are amazing becuase they give us a break and chance to relax from reading chapter books. 

6. Picture books are amaing because they are entertaining and don't have as many rules to follow as chapter books. 

5. Picture books are amazing because they allow all of us to feel the joy of reading. 

4. Picture books are amazing because they teach us. Just because they're short doesn't mean they can't teach us a lesson. 

3. Picture books are amazing because they help us learn lessons through them and then we can turn and apply them to our own reading. 

2. Picture books are amazing because they open up the whole world to us in a short text that we can gather around and share together. 

1. Picture books have no age limits. (This one is supposed to be said with enthusiasm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment